Confident Parents, Confident Kids: Raising Emotional Intelligence in Ourselves and Our Kids--from Toddlers to Teenagers
Confident Parents, Confident Kids lays out a program for helping kids-and their parents-hone their emotional intelligence so that they can make good choices, connect and communicate well with others (even when patience is thin), and become aware and confident human beings.
How do we raise a happy, confident kid? And how can we be confident that our parenting is preparing our child for success? Our confidence develops from understanding and having a mastery over our emotions-and helping our children do the same. Like learning to play a musical instrument, we can fine-tune our ability to skillfully react to those crazy, wonderful, big feelings that naturally arise from our child's constant growth and changes, moving from chaos to harmony. We want our children to trust that they can conquer any challenge with hard work and persistence; that they can love boundlessly; that they will find their unique sense of purpose; and they will act wisely in a complex world. This book shows you how. With author and educator Jennifer Miller as your supportive guide, you'll learn:
- the lies we've been told about emotions, how they shape our choices, and how we can reshape our parenting decisions in better alignment with our deepest values.
- how to identify the temperaments your child was born with so you can support those tendencies rather than fight them.
- how to align your biggest hopes and dreams for your kids with specific skills that can be practised, along with new research to support those powerful connections.
- about each age and stage your child goes through and the range of learning opportunities available.
- how to identify and manage those big emotions (that only the parenting process can bring out in us!) and how to model emotional intelligence for your children.
- how to deal with the emotions and influences of your choir-the many outside individuals and communities who directly impact your child's life, including school, the digital world, extended family, neighbors, and friends.
Raising confident, centered, happy kids-while feeling the same way about yourself-is possible with Confident Parents, Confident Kids.