13 Things Mentally Strong Parents Don't Do: Raising Self-Assured Children and Training Their Brains
In her international bestseller 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do, Amy Morin taught us what it takes to be mentally strong. Now she teaches parents the unhealthy habits to avoid in order to raise mentally strong children.
Do you prevent your child from making mistakes Do you give your child power over you Do you parent out of guilt If so, you're not alone. Every parent wants to provide their child with the best and safest future. But in today's increasingly complicated and scary world, many parents have taken things a step too far, mistakenly believing that giving their children the best chance at a successful life involves trying to shield them from pain and reality.
From free-range parenting to helicopter parenting, many of today's popular parenting practices aren't allowing parents to teach children the skills they need to become mentally strong adults. In 13 Things Mentally Strong Parents Don't Do, Amy Morin turns her focus to parents, revealing what not to do-the unhealthy thoughts, behaviors, and feelings that hold adults back from raising mentally strong children.
As a psychotherapist, an expert in family and teen therapy, and a foster parent, Morin has witnessed firsthand what works. When children have the skills they need to deal with challenges in their everyday lives, they flourish socially, emotionally, behaviorally, and academically. Morin demonstrates through easy-to-follow steps that with appropriate support, encouragement, and guidance from adults, children grow stronger and strive for a better, brighter future. Drawing on the insight she has gained from her experiences in her practice and her role as a foster parent, she combines case studies, practical tips, specific strategies, and proven exercises to help children of all ages-from preschoolers to teenagers-build the mental muscle and grit they need to develop into healthy, strong adults.
Mentally Strong Parents Raise Mentally Strong Children
Exceptional strategies and exercises for raising mentally strong children who achieve success and happiness and become the best version of themselves.
- They Don't Condone a Victim Mentality
- They Don't Parent out of Guilt
- They Don't Make Their Child the Center of the Universe
- They Don't Allow Fear to Dictate Their Choices
- They Don't Give Their Child Power over Them
- They Don't Expect Perfection
- They Don't Let Their Child Avoid Responsibility
- They Don't Shield Their Child from Pain
- They Don't Feel Responsible for Their Child's Emotions
- They Don't Prevent Their Child from Making Mistakes
- They Don't Confuse Discipline with Punishment
- They Don't Take Shortcuts to Avoid Discomfort
- They Don't Lose Sight of Their Values